View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 08:40 AM
He/Him

I got this reply from another forum. Very helpful.

Quote:
Hi!

n/a engines always have a cam-driven hydraulic pump. The valve cover is different, as is the valve cover gasket. The difference is that the cam-drive covers have a sem-circle cutout to allow the flange on which the pump is mounted to be instalkled & sealed.

However, there is one obstacle: that is the cooling fan. On the W124 chassis with this cam driven pump it's VERY tight to install the cooling fan & cowling. On the 603 Turbo it's impossible. The 603 Turbo has a bigger metal fan which needs to be installed together with the cowling & fan clutch - it would be impossible with the SLS pump mounted on the head. And there might even be clearance issues with the fan, I've not tried it.

Though fabricating some hydraulic lines should not be that big of a problem?? They'r metric and can be joined with ermeto couplings, I've done the same when re-routing the SLS reservoir on my 124 Coupé (needed space for Turbo air filter housing).

^you can just about see the shaft runing from the cam gear which required the cut-out in the cylinder head. If I was you, I'd see if you can get away with removing/installing (and runing) the big Turbo cooling fan without pulling the radiator and then go from there... But I'd keep the big fan. Hell, what do I care? If you can live with pulling the radiator to remove the fan for changing a belt or something - do whatever floats your boat Smile

In short: you need
- a different valve cover,
- the jack-shaft runing from the cam gear,
- a "floating" coupler to connect pump & shaft
- and the pump flange to install the SLS pump on the cylinder head.
- And a different cam gear bolt (allen hex)

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]