View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul LeFevre View Post
To all that have contributed positive suggestions, I thank you.

Grezzer: Yes it is just a hobby. I've always liked the body lines of a coupe. It's just a part time car and a learning experience for me. Thanks.

Skippy: I did use Bilsteins and yes the rubber components look pretty bad. I am committed to a full rebuild to save this car. It has no rust and the interior is decent. I'll focus first on the sway bars.

Rocky Raccoon: Steering play, while not perfect, doesn't seem to bad. I'll get it dialed in to handle much better and I'll be in your camp at some point.

BWhitmore: Have no documentation. Bought totally blind. But I'm OK with that. I'll try and research the history a little, thanks.

Mbeige: I have owned a couple of Jettas, a beloved 1988 911 with suspension rebuild, an Audi A6 Quattro with suspension upgrade, and I now have a 2002 Bmw 540i with a 6sp and full suspension rebuild and almost 200k on the clock. Great road car BTW.

This rebuild will continue and I'm sure with the help of this and other fourms will be a great learning experience. Thanks again, everyone.
Looks like you have a taste for suspension rebuilds. A W123 in stock (and old) condition can never equivalently compare to any of those cars.

Don't be so surprised about the W123 - it was designed in the 70's with a balance of comfort and road handling (for its time). Remember that the car came originally with long-travel but soft suspension, this typically gives it the grip by way of having contact despite the body roll.

Good choice on the Bilsteins - which type did you get?