View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
Have a read through this about ring gaps.

Institution Of Diagnostic Engineers
I stopped reading the article when it suggested that all gaps in line on all cylinders could occur in a random nature. Statistically this occurrence is almost equivelant to winning a powerball lotto.

That's if the rings where installed in the normal fashion. Normally if there is rotation it will remain random in nature to some extent. I can think of no exerted forces in operation that would tend to line the gaps up on all pistons.

Even blow by pressure would tend to separate the gaps or be a neutral force. The issue even with that to me is the rings are heavily loaded at that point and cannot rotate anyways. So once again any spinning of the rings is not orchestrated.

Also it would be almost pointless to separate the gaps on installation if any normal tendency to gap group was present. The guy also claimed status as an expert witness.

I think in some cases the litigant probably got thrown under the bus by this guy. Wonder what his fees are as his principal employer would be a defendant. Or perhaps in real life he goes both ways depending on who is paying the freight.

I wondered if I had missed something in my thoughts. In this case I think it unlikely.

Last edited by barry12345; 03-09-2016 at 10:51 PM.