View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry12345 View Post
I stopped reading the article when it suggested that all gaps in line on all cylinders could occur in a random nature. Statistically this occurrence is almost equivelant to winning a powerball lotto.

Not really, we are talking about 2 ring gaps matching up, the oil ring is generally 3 piece so where the side rail gaps reside doesn't really matter.

In my years before , during and after running my own shop I've had countless engines apart. I know there is at least one that had the top two rings lined up and likely there were other occurrences.

Given the rings spin at 0.5 to 3 RPM and there are countless minutes an engine will be running, lined up gaps are more common than you'd think. I agree that taking an engine down at the exact time the gaps are lined up would be very hit and miss but that does not mean that lined up gaps don't occur in normal operation.

When assembling an engine I keep the gaps out of the skirt area as the skirt ares is the most vulnerable to wear.

As for the engine being idled too long and walls glazing up. Cylinder glazing comes from carbon filling the honing marks / the peaks being rolled flat. This reduces the sand paper effect to lap in the rings _all around the bore_ not just at the skirts.

With the engine in question , the skirt is what wore the cylinder as you can see the upper and 2 nd ring wear pattern at the top of the bore is above the skirt wear.

You could post the pics on speedtalk.com This is a high end professional engine build site. The only qualifier is that they tend to be race engine oriented though there are some guys with general machine shops.