Thread: 603 preparation
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

It depends on what you want to spend for preventative maintenance.

Oil pan gasket, not a bad idea, front seal, simple and cheap also, rear main seal, ... a little more work but well worth it to prevent leaks. A well-sealed engine is worth the effort. I'd replace the front seal in the transmission while it's out also, about a 10minute job with a small slide-hammer and hook on the end to extract the old seal.

If you're re-sealing the pan, pull the rear main and rod caps to look at the crank and bearings, wouldn't hurt to measure them to ensure you have a solid engine, replace oil-pump chain and sprocket bolt (have been a few failures), ensure that all is in good shape in there.

Timing chain, guides, and tensioner are also worth doing, and check to ensure at least a late-design vacuum pump.

Other suggestions here are good, I agree look at all IP seals, replace delivery-valve seals while it's apart, time the pump and make any adjustments while it's out. Depending on the size of the hole it's going into, the IP can be adjusted on the engine with the CC actuator removed.

The head gasket I'm not sure about, if you pull the head you have the opportunity to look at the condition of the bores, the head casting, and of course refresh the gaskets. This is however an additional day's work and $100+ for the gaskets.

Lots of "while you're at it", problem is that scope-creep comes in increments of $100s, best to stick with your plan and budget and decide what you do NOT want to find / deal with once the engine is in the hole, crank seals are on this list as they're easy and cheap when out, impossible when in the car, ... HG re-seal is slightly more difficult in the car but doable and the price is high, ... how well do you know this engine would be my decision point.

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff