View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 AM

Noise when pressing the clutch, new throw out bearing

Howdy everyone, long time no post.
I've been working anything and everything except my Mercedes in the last year or so. Being busy the last maintenance I needed was the clutch, and I had Derek (TurboBenz) while he was working at one of the local independent shops. Well, when they did it, there was a problem getting the correct throw out bearing, so I gave them the OK to reuse the old one. Now, about 2000 mile later its making a noise when you step on the clutch. So, ok time to do the throw-out bearing. Derek, who moved out of the area, was cool enough to come to my house and change the bearing for me. That was Saturday. We got the transmission back in and step on the clutch and the noise is still there!!! So them my weekend changed from me working on a welding project and Derek working to the car to Derek and I in full investigation mode. We pulled the transmission again and the pilot bearing fell out of its bore in the crank. so we got a new pilot bearing and used a little loc-tite to keep it from falling out. put it back together... SAME NOISE. So its nether of the bearings. That was Sunday. Today after work we worked on it again. took everything apart and started inspecting every part in the clutch system. everything looks new, as it should. We then looked at the transmission. The clutch "fork" looked warn where the throw-out bearing rides, and when you shake the clutch fork it sounds like the noise we heard. After some internet searches we decided the fork must be the problem. I took the fork and welded new contact pads for the bearing. ground and filed them til they looked just like a new fork. Installed everything and its still making the noise!!!!

Here are some pictures of the clutch parts.

Here is a video we made of the noise, take a listen. We need some "second" opinions!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcVfbtQ3-I4