View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillGrissom View Post
Your 84 300SD (I'm guessing) should pop at 1950 psig. The injector bodies should have "135 bar" stamped on them. Sounds like your set are for a non-turbo (~1600 psig, I recall). I think it is just the internal spring that varies between them, or maybe just the spring shim. Of course, they will work in a turbo. Indeed, I found that my 1984 had 3 non-turbo injectors, but swapping them didn't make a noticeable change. But you probably have the parts to get the factory pressures.

It would be interesting if someone knew the reason why turbo's got higher pressure injectors. Perhaps they were expected to run at higher rpm and thus need a finer spray for faster combustion.

Yes, it's the 84 300 SD and my goal was to pop them at 1975 psi. I lapped them all and lapped two again to get the pop pressure to 1975. I know it's a waste of time to do this but I have to do something to keep off the recliner.

I just removed the other four and popped them. They all pop between 16 and 1850 psi. The spray looks exactly like the spray of the Monarch which I just installed in the injectors I just bought.

Perhaps the previous owner was fanatical about changing filters. I know I've changed the secondary in less than 10K for the past six years. I try to catch them on every other 3000K oil and filter change but sometimes I forget so I change the fuel filters with the oil change.
95 318ic