View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Diesel Preferred

I used to own a Euro 123 wagon with NA engine and five speed transmission, the front end was high like your car. A PO / "mechanic" had replaced the front springs with those meant for a US-spec car (turbo and automatic trans, so heavier car), resulting in the too-high front end. The part number is supposed to be stamped on one of the spring coils, close to one end, I only found it by removing the springs and using a wire-wheel grinder to clean off the corrosion and paint.

Also mentioned are the pads on top of the springs, which are available in different thicknesses depending on options like A/C, automatic transmission, sunroof, which all add weight. In addition, spring pads might be thicker/thinner based on the strength of the particular spring set (there are supposed to be color codes on the springs due to variations within springs made to certain part numbers / specifications, springs are supposed to be matched even though they may be weaker/stronger than a "perfect" spring).

In your place, I'd dig into the FSM and determine exactly what springs and pads might have been originally fitted to your car, and then check to see which spring pads are installed (there are supposed to be nubs hanging from the edge of the rubber, visible when the pad is installed. Either one, two, three or four nubs to indicate the thickness). See section 32-220 of the FSM, careful reading will help you determine what springs / pads your car should have.

Last thought: What "flavor" of Bilstein shocks did you purchase, "comfort" or something else like "HD"? If you didn't get comfort but got the heavy duty version, they will make the car sit higher and also make the ride quite firm.
'87 124.193 (300TD) "White Whale", ~392k miles, 3.5l IP fitted
'95 124.131 (E300) "Sapphire", 380k miles
'73 Balboa 20 "Sanctification"
Charleston SC