Thread: Damn this salt!
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2003, 04:26 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by bennett
Our roads are white with it.

I use a home made version of waxoyl. Waxoyl is used in Great Britian and areas that see alot wet weather. I have two 76 Land Cruisers that see daily driving and I use this religously for a rust inhibitor. We get our fair share of wet weather here in Utah and my undercarriages and sheet metal still look great. I will be doing the newly aquired 240 D when she hits the road.
Here is some info.
Here is a recipe for home made "Waxoyl". It's an old fashioned rust treatment / undercoating:

2 1/2 quarts turpentine
12 oz. beeswax / candle wax
1 quart light machine oil

With a cheese shredder, cut the wax into the turpentine, stir until the wax has dissolved, ( 137 degrees)(takes a long time; you can use very low heat on a (a warm room) to aid but be careful) and thin with the machine oil to a brushable / sprayable consistency. Apply liberally. You can use a hand spray bottle to get into closed-off sections if you have a small access hole.
Hand spray bottle works best... I tried a weed sprayer but clean up = hassle. I spend a few minutes coating the underbody and undercarriage tiwce a year. Mud don't stick and it repels water big time. Iflood it on and it penetrates the picnhwelds and seams.
PS.. don't put more was in than the recipe calls for BTDT..gets too thick!

bennett
This Waxoyl mix is a great idea and may look the same or be similar to the wax that's genorously sprayed and flooded to protect the underbody and cavities on my '91 Jetta ...Yes? The Jetta is wax proofed from factory very well and shows no hint of rust anywhere.

The key is to renew or check the undercoating for nicks/chips and undercoating breaks around seems etc at least before the salt is laid, twice a year is better as you suggest....vigilance! That's how we've kept our '88 Turbo Diesel Chevy conversion van from acquiring rust.

How about finding a replacement for salt. It eats and destroys concrete roads too. This costs us a bunch more than just our automobiles. How bad can it be for the environment since the EPA does not allow snow from roads to be dumped into rivers. It's time for a replacement. Call your city street department and note the excessive, thoughtless, endless, meterless dumping on our roads and the waste of much of our tax dollars for this treatment!
Needed to get that out.