View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 12:42 PM
dieselfuelinjector.guru

A neat 240D engine - A budget R&R

I picked up a neat 240D (2.4 diesel) engine on Memorial Day from a fellow forum member. I believe it came from a circa 1982 240D Euro wagon. Long drive from sunny Columbia, S.C. to sunny Frederick, MD and back, but did it in one day. It's on a stand now. Started off from one forum member who suffered a major loss thanks to a tree, purchased by another hobbyist, who ended up parting ways with it, so I have it now.

Couple of nice things:

1. Real Euro Sanden A/C set-up:

When I got the engine on the stand I realized that the compressor was tilted in a bunch, which caused a slight panic thinking the bracket got bent or worst yet, the block cracked at the huge "eye". Removed the bracket and compressor and discovered the rubber bushings are about done which caused the compressor to tilt inwards ... now, searching for universal bushings to mill down (I've given up that MB would sell these).

2. M-Pump & Matching Lines with correct linkage

Another nice find. A little different than the "MW" pump, so has the unusual factor. I've had a few "M" pumps of the 5-cylinder flavor, but not 4 cylinder. Plus, getting the correct linkage was a huge plus.

3. SLS casted head.

Pretty common with the 5-clyinder engine, but somewhat rare in the 4-cylinder. Even included the SLS pump attached which is nice to have another spare.

R&R --

The 'to-be-expected' includes oil leaks everywhere. Got the engine up high on the stand so I can sit on my stool and to strip it down, but with the slightly tilted upward on the stand, I got a decent oil leak coming from the rear of the engine so I am thinking the rear seal is shot. So, immediate plans are:

1. Finish engine strip-down;
2. Major clean-up;
2. Tackle the seals;
3. Detail;
4. Rebuild head and fingers crossed NO CRACKS; and
5. Re-do the entire fuel system components

Then, put it on a home made engine stand to fire it up and see how it runs, et cet.

Plans are to mate this with a Getrag 717.400 five speed down the road.