View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
I read some but not all of the responses.

When I cleaned my Window switches I found I had to scrap them to the bare metal with a small pocketknife. Contact cleaner or the Pencil Erasure that some people have claimed to use would not have worked in my case.

Any burned and black medal on top of the contacts is oxidized and not going to be a good conductor of electricity.

Another possible is that the Motor Brushes are getting short (not a short circuit) in size. There is some threads on taking the Motors apart.
There's actually a tool designed for cleaning electric contacts called a burnisher. The one I bought is a very thin flexible strip of metal with a slight texture to it. Unfortunately I didn't get mine until after I had cleaned the contacts - but I did use an eyeglasses screwdriver to scrape the contacts until they were completely clean.

Typically I've found that dirty contacts will fail in such a way that only the up or down action of the window is intermittent - usually the up side since that draws a bit more current I think.

I was wondering about the motor brushes being worn out. I'm going to check the wire in the rubber accordions before I pull the motors, but that's definitely something to check as well.