View Single Post
Old 03-12-2003, 05:26 AM
LarryBible

I heard it said many years ago that the biggest lies are related to income tax and fuel mileage.

I am a total nut when it comes to calculating and recording my fuel mileage. I keep a notebook in the glovebox on all my cars in which I keep chronological records including every fuel up. A fuel up entry consists of date, odometer reading, trip odometer reading(which I reset at every fuel up, gallons added and calculated MPG.

Being the anally retentive car nut that I am, I have had many, MANY conversations about fuel mileage over the years. It always amazes me that so many grown people that have obviously made it through fourth grade mathematics class, which is all the math skill you need, don't know how to calculate fuel mileage.

Many people will fill it up, drive a certain number of miles and look at the fuel gauge and make some wild calculation like, "I used a 1/2 tank and went 300 miles, so I got about 60 MPG" or some stupid thing.

To get to your answer, My 240D was operated about 90% on the highway and it averaged about 31.5 MPG over its life. With such a small amount of horsepower, the a/c would pull it down to about 30.5 in the Summer, and it would get around 32 or 32.5 in the Winter.

Have a great day,