View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 02:50 PM

I re-plumbed our 2002 T&C minivan using 5/8" silicone heater hose. That was while converting to Evans Waterless coolant. Some turns were fairly tight but the hose didn't kink. That was my better stock w/ ~4 nylon plies which likes to stay round. Some 2-ply I used did want to kink in tight bends. Don't get me started on the Ace garden hose I spent $$$ for a few years ago that now kinks everywhere, cutting off the flow, but that is a home problem, back to cars.

I also used silicone hose in my two 300Ds' for the run from engine to passenger-side tube, replacing the evil and useless "aux water pump" in the process. That is a gradual curve and might be a better place to install your manual cut-off valve. One 1982-85 300D guy installed a 1986+ mono-valve there (extended wires), since they are cheaper and better. For that location, regular 5/8" heater hose might not work because one side is a bit larger, but the silicone hose is more flexible so easily slid over it. Also, silicone should last the life of your car. If the hose you show ever becomes unavailable, there is much pre-formed silicone heater hose marketed to tuners, though would have to search to find one w/ the needed bends, and also usually sold in a $60 set. Hot rodders often cut a radiator hose and rotate on a metal splice to realize the bends they need, which is another future option, and applies to you if you put the valve there. At least that hose is standard 5/8" ID.