View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 PM

Am I crazy, or in over my head?

So my W124 project is coming along, but obviously there is a lot of stuff in the idea/planning stages. My problem is that the more research I do about a particular job, and the more I learn, the more my project seems to expand. In the interest of efficiency, I'm trying to plan related jobs all at once, but I think things might be getting out of control.

Another factor is my skill level as a mechanic. I'm not terrible, and I'm reasonably bright, but I'm certainly a novice, and most jobs I try are first-time, learn-as-I-go affairs. I've done suspension work on my BMW 1 Series before (shocks & springs, front sway bar & end links) and it wasn't too difficult. Swapped out front springs a few times, actually. I also partially dropped the subframe, once, to access bushings.

So, I figure I can do springs and dampers on my W124, no problem. Which turned into a planned Sportline retrofit - fine, I can probably figure out the front LCA bushings, and can certainly do the front sway bar. What about the steering box? No idea, but I might as well check/change as many of the linkages as possible (tie rods, drag link, idler arm bushing, + steering damper). And then I wonder about the rear control arms - 5 links each side, but they're all easily accessible. Then I start thinking about the rear sway bar - ****, does the whole exhaust really need to come out? And the propeller shaft? Might as well change the rear flex disc, and then why not the front flex disc? Oh, because the transmission mount needs to be removed to access the front - better change that, too! But then there's the rear subframe bushings - dare I try to drop a 25-year-old subframe, and can I even press the bushings out myself?

I guess I could try to break this up into smaller jobs, but I's really rather just get knocked out in one fell swoop, and not have to worry about getting multiple alignments. But I'm worried about exceeding my skill level. To be honest, most of the work seems kind of fun, in a challenging sort of way, and much of it seems not terribly difficult, per se. Although something like a stripped or snapped bolt would really rain on my parade.

Any suggestions? Do I just dive right in and go for it (well, after proper planning, of course)? Should I break it up into smaller jobs? Should I farm some or all of it out to a professional? Keep in mind I'll be doing the work in my garage on jackstands, no lift. Got a decent set of tools, including an impact wrench, and enough vehicles to run to the store for an extra socket or whatever. Probably will take a week or so off of work to focus on getting it done without too many distractions.