Thread: Vac Eval
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 PM

What's this thing?

Ok, so I just got home after a week of being away for work. Haven't picked up a Mityvac yet, but just to have a look around, I popped the hood on the 300D. Right away I noticed many of the 3- and 4-way fittings were not snugged up all the way, and the rubber hoses are of varying quality - some probably need to be replaced, but I'll let the Mityvac be the judge. For now I just pressed the hoses onto the fittings as tightly as possible.

Anyway, upon looking little more closely, I see this thing in front of the coolant tank that says "Vac Out" on it (pic #1) and it has two little prongs for vacuum line, only one of which is connected. The trouble is, there are two free ends of vacuum line dangling around. You can see the one with the red thing in the end, that is part of a 3-way fitting. The other is just a single line, and looks like it heads towards the turbo, maybe? The one with the red things is hard to fit because, well, of the red thing. The other line is impossible to fit because of a small tear in the end. For now I just shoved the red one onto the prong, but the more I think of it the more I think maybe the torn hose is the right one, and that it came loose because of the tear. Anyone know what I'm looking at here? I haven't been able to test drive the car yet, because my wife is out with the keys (in another vehicle, obviously).

Pic #2 is what I think is the vacuum pump, amm I right? It looks to me like the new version, with the bolt heads on the outside.

Pic #3 I just thought was interesting - it's the line that goes (I think) from the vacuum pump to the brake booster. It looks to be in decent shape, and it's definitely not original - it's labeled "Daimler Chrysler," and stamped with a November 1999 date! I wonder what the story is there...maybe the vacuum pump was replaced with the newer version at a dealer service around that time? Or maybe just the hose was replaced, who knows? I just thought it was interesting.

Vac Eval-img_0400.jpg

Vac Eval-img_0402.jpg

Vac Eval-img_0403.jpg