View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM
Not so amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Changing the oil is just so cheap I don't understand why we ever see threads like this.
At Canadian prices, one 5-litre jug of Rotella synthetic is a bit more than $50 with tax. If I buy a Mann filter locally, it's about $22. (Yes I can order the filter from the US for a lot less, but with the 33 percent exchange on our dollar and the extra shipping charges, the savings are so eroded that I need to make it part of a significant order for it to work. Liquids cannot be shipped transborder anymore, so I have to drive to NY if I want the oil cheaper.)

So, respectfully, at more than $100 do to an oil change I am not even sure I need, on barely used oil, I do reserve the right to start "threads like this" to get some clarification.

As it happens I am a former oil change fanatic who only recently has learned to be okay with going more than 2500 miles on synthetic in my diesels (in normal usage) after reading a lot by Whunter on the topic.

I am going to go with the "yeas" on this one.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22