View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 12:17 PM

Here's a couple of pictures of the problem area. I'm afraid by the time I cut out the area and weld in a new one, there will be at least an inch or so that needs to be painted - but since the whole panel is only about 6" square, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to repaint the whole thing instead of trying to blend it.

Assuming that the pinchweld metal is solid enough to weld to, I don't see any risk of the heat penetrating the body - the hole is only through to the underside of the cowl (I can feel the back side of the hole from inside the cowl vent).

I've got zero experience brazing, though I could probably get the proper tools cheaper than a TIG welder. I'm hoping to find someone locally with a TIG and some skills, but if I have to I'd rather spend the 500$ on a cheap TIG than throw it away at the bodyshop. I'd still need to get them to do the respray, unless I could get some paint in a spray can matched to my paint color.

I think I can get to the back of the repair with a hammer & dolly if needed.

Does 500$ for this seem a bit crazy to anyone else? The hole is tiny and in a fairly flat spot, so I can't imagine it being that hard to shape a new piece to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with a rust repair-img_0977.jpeg   Need help with a rust repair-img_0973.jpeg