View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Regular User

Spent some time on her today and she was not playing nicely at first. The same sputtering and stalling that sent me into the carb rebuild 9 months ago was back. I just couldn't get her to stay running and was starting to sink into despair. Then for no particular reason, after the nth restart, she just settled into an idle and stayed there.

This gave me enough time to hook up the timing light and dwell meter and take some readings. I made adjustments to the idle mixture screws and that brought the idle up to about 1060 RPMs. The idle adjustment screws aren't even pressing on the linkage so that RPM seems high according to literature with just the mixture screws alone, but it sounded ok and I was able to blip the throttle without it dying. A hot restart was also easily achieved. (This is a small miracle in itself)

Some of the leaks were controlled by tightening, but the fuel return valve incessantly leaks. I can only pray that MB still has this available.

I may have to remove the carbs from the intake again to tighten the throttle body to float body screws. Also, my generator is not supplying any voltage, so even though I took her out of the garage just to move the wheels, she's a ways away from a drive and I don't think that will happen before we get our first snow/road salting.

The 1 yr old gas continues to languish. I might limp it up to the gas station just to get some fresh fuel in it.

I really don't know why she started to cooperate all of a sudden. I can't say it was my mechanical prowess. I think these things are mysterious and they test you. The MB spirits showed mercy on me.

previously-
73 280 SEL 4.5
86 300E 5 speed
2010 VW Jetta TDI M6