View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 11:07 AM

"I'M STILL SEARCHING FOR THAT MISS. COULD SOME ONE EXPLAIN TO ME THE ROUTING OF AIR THROUGH THE IDLE AIR VALVE. THERE IS A U-SHAPED HOSE (#1) FROM UNDER THE FUEL DISTRIBUTOR AREA THAT GOES TO THE IDLE VALVE, THEN A HOSE (#2) TO THE IDLE AIR DISTRIBUTOR. ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE IDLE AIR DISTRIBUTOR THERE IS A HOSE (#3) THAT CONNECTS TO THE AIR FILTER HOUSING AND THE VALVE COVER. I ASSUME #3 IS NOT A VACUUM HOSE."

The #1 hose is the idle air intake from below the aiflow meter. The #2 hose is the output to the 'idle air distributor'. The #3 hose connects to the hose between the air cleaner and the valve cover, and the joiner is the plastic pcv device. It has a small orifice to meter the blowby into the idle air distributor, and a small safety port (open to the valve cover side) connected to the back of the fuel pressure regulator. Any leaks in the idle air system will give false metering mechanically and electrically.

If the hoses have not split, they will still harden and form leaky connections. I replaced all hoses and the rubber plenum of the airflow meter - anywhere rubber interfaced a connector. I also had to replace the rubber mount for the idle air valve (which I cleaned), since it was no longer flexible enough to remove and reinstall the unit without tearing. All parts were inexpensive except the rubber plenum, which was still only about $25.

If you plan to replace all this, the FI assembly will have to be removed - involved but not difficult - which is also the only access to the top bolt of the left motor mount. If you are thinking of replacing the mounts, you might want to coordinate the jobs.

Steve