View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 02:08 PM

I don't necessarilly agree with that, I think that its a good thing to keep in touch with your roots and heritage, no matter where you are.

America was founded by immigrants, and is inhabited by immigrants. In fact, people who immigrate to this country and become citizens, from my experience are more patriotic than most people who call themselves Americans.

I was born in south africa, and immigrated to the united states. When I became a citizen, I ceased being a south african, and started being an american. I gave up my rights in south africa as a south african citizen.

Most mexican immigrants I have met, are some of the hardest working people in this country. My current Girlfriend is Mexican, but born in the U.S, and raised in mexico. She is a U.S. citizen and her two older brothers are both in the military. Her oldest brother was in the gulf last time this happened, and her other older brother is currently in japan, awaiting to see if he will be sent to the gulf. She herself worked for the U.S. military as a private citizen for several years. If that doesn't show patriotism, I don't know what does.

America is a nation built by and inhabited by people from all over the world. That is what makes america great in my opinion. We are full of culture from all walks of life.

Unfortunately, there are some power hungry leaders of other countries that have a grudge against us for allowing our citizens to have a great amount of freedom, and for trying to spread our liberal ideals and freedoms to other countries.

I for one am not against the war, but I am not for it. I do think we need to do something about it, but I think that we can do it without resorting to violence.

I don't believe in killing other humans, it goes against one of the oldest religious principals that I believe in.

When I became a citizen of this country, and was asked if I would take up arms for my country I said no, because I don't believe in takign up arms and killing people.

Now when it comes to illegal immigrants, I believe that something has to be done about that, but when it comes to people who are here legally, they are as much a part of america as anyone else who is here legally, be it a citizen, permanent resident, or student.

Everyone in america can trace their ancestors back to another country, if we were all to follow your "go back to your country" statement, well guess what, that includes everyone in this country, because we were all descendants of immigrants from other countries at some point in time.

Alon