View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM
Ghost of Diesels Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFreeh View Post
Yes.

I had a leaking injector on my CDI when I bought it from Tyler.
It had been leaking for some time when I bought the car.
I successfully repaired the leak.

Thoughts:

1. You need the extraction tool. I bought the $500 Baum toolset. Looking back, one might have been able cobble up a way to do the job without specialty tools, but the risk to an expensive injector justified the tool for me. I still ended up having to machine a part or two, in order to get the tool to fit correctly.

2. The schmutz that is a byproduct of the leak is as durable as fossilized amber..... This hard, black material will fill the head cavity, and is tedious, and necessary to remove completely to expose the injector and it's clamp.

3. The process itself is straightforward, access (once cleaned) is good, it did take some fiddling to get the injector loose from it's bore.

4. You need to face off the seat at the bottom of the bore to remove any "steam cuts" before reassembly. The Baum kit has a nice tool for this part.

5. My first try at this job was made more difficult due to the longstanding problem. Had I caught this in the early stages, I could have saved a lot of time cleaning and coaxing........

6. Smell. If you smell diesel fuel or fumes, check the injector seals. In my case, I could smell it through the HVAC system ducting. In severe cases, you can hear the leak "chuffing" when running. After I cleaned the cavity, I could hear the leak, as well as smell it.

7. We've had 4 of these CDI's in the immediate family, and so far, two have had the problem.

8. I've been driving MB diesels for decades, starting with W115 220 diesels, W123 240D, 300D,300T-D, all three W124 versions..... and my favorite by far, is the CDI. Sure, it's more complex, requires an investment in diagnostics and tools, but it's relatively easy to work on (like 10 minute glow plug exchange) and the power is amazing. Plus, in over three years and 35k miles, I consistently get over 40 mpg on the highway. Overall, still love the car, but it is eleven years old and with 200K miles I don't expect this car to be trouble free (It's not ). The diagnostic computer (Xentry) is crucial to home maintenance, but it is not cheap. Cheap, that's the word, these cars are fantastic automobiles, but they are not cheap to run compared to iconic diesels like the OM 617. But, you get what you pay for. Drive a W211 back to back with a W123, and the W123 feels like you're driving a forty year old car (actually, you are ). Safety, economy, performance, and quality, it's difficult to name another car that does all of this so well.

Jim
I wish I had just sucked it up and bought that baum toolset.