View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 02:36 AM

SL & SEL PUrchase & Repairs Advice pls

So with the SL tucked into the garage (very happy bout that purchase) I thought - why not a matching 560SEL. And so I located one.

I asked myself - do I want to buy a car with the work done (taking the sellers word, in most cases re Timing chain etc) or buy one needing work done, and factoring the cost of such repairs into the purchase. Then knowing myself what has been done.

I have a good mechanic who is not too expensive, who would do most of the work.

So this is what I am looking at: 560SEL (1986). The car is 1700 miles (West) away, so... am buying LD based on pics and WoM.

1 family owned (elderly Dad then adult farmer son). The son is looking around for receipts - but does not know much about the car. He brought the car home 5 years ago, has done nothing to it, seldom driven. His dad was religious about maintenance and repairs and kept it garaged.

157,000kms (97500 miles)

I think the rear end sags, so might need accumulators or shocks or?

The rad leaks

finish on wheels worn

windshield cracked

typical DS window issues

A/C not working

Dash not split, interior excellent. all trim excellent. All tags in place. No accident history.

If I pick up the car, am I going to be able to address timing chain, radiator, windshield, rear end, DS window and A/C for 4,000$ ? And then throw on refurb rims and new Michelins (has Michelins now).

My objective is a daily driver 560SEL and w/e sunny season 560SL. I do not drive much.

The car has no rust, body damage, told tranny is smooth, and engine purrs.

The car is priced well. It'll cost to ship it here, but that is just life with cars...

Fellas, your thoughts?