View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj67coll View Post
I was talking about this very topic with a colleague when we stepped out of the office the other day. There were probably upwards of 30 cars in our parking lot and with the exception of his metallic orange Honda Element, two dark maroon SUV's one dark green and one dark blue truck every single one of those vehicles was Black, white, or various shades in between.

I don't buy the claim that it's paint technology forcing this on manufacturers. There are some cars out there that have actual colors still. Chrysler seems to do the best in this regard, with the toybox colors their jeeps have and I've noticed a few brightly colored Dodge' 200's and others. Fiat too has some interestingly colored 500's.

Just seems that the "marketing" department rules (and probably accounting) keeping the selections to a small sample of the color wheel that's supposed to aid sales and cost less on the production line.

As for the nonsense about base coat clear coat being superior. By choice I would never buy a car with a clear coat in Phoenix. There is nothing worse than a clear coat that's been in the desert for a length of time. Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is they all burst and look like crap eventually.

- Peter.
I don't buy the claim either, at a glance it's some journalist (julia felsenthal) that decided to try her hand in the Automotive world.

Manufacturers plan and research years in advance what colors will be the most popular and order the Gazillions of Gallons of paint that are required to paint all the cars as fast as Detriot can poop them out. I recall that in some cases the chemical compounds required to put say a Yellow Pigment in production paint that meets Air Quality standards can cause some issues as Yellow can be quite translucent. At least that is my recollection of paint.

The modern factory applied paint with clear coats are incredibly good, the surface is so hard and UV tolerant that they hardly even need wax anymore. At least on American cars.

Rattle can (flat finish) always makes me think of spray painting my friends Pinto in high school.