View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansel Allen View Post
I have a 1973 280SE 4.5 and my problem is when I make a sharp right turn I have a knocking sound from the drivers side rear. I also with have the same problem with I have two passengers in the rear seat (noise on drivers side, rear end). My car seems level, but does have a rear sag when passengers are in the car. When I'm driving straight, with passengers, everything seems normal.
I had this problem on a 114. I looked under there and the seals were leaking on the differential. So while I still didn't see what was causing the knocking noise (and it could be a lot of things) I did have a parts car with the same rear end so I just swapped them out. This is a bigger job on your 108 than it is on any 114 so don't just do this on a whim.

But to my amazement the noise went away. I don't know if I moved something just enough to keep 'it' from banging or if the trouble was in the rear end. All I know is that I had this noise from the back when turning and then, after installing the spare rear end, the noise quit.