View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 12:50 PM

'85 300SD... Engine Bay is a mess, Turbo non-functioning.

I've searched and searched and finally figured some things out...

Quick background, we've had this thing for probably 10 years+ It sat for about 7 years before my brother and I needed a vehicle to drive. After a battery charge it started right up but we noticed it was SLOW. It sat for maybe another 2 years until recently when I decided to make it a project.

Rundown: The engine bay is a mess... This thing is SLOW. I'm talking probably 45 seconds+ for its 0-60. I believe the Turbo does not work, I've never heard it spool up.
It runs fine, starts fine... when it comes to acceleration the pedal is to the floor and the car is less than enthusiastic. It takes FOREVER to upshift, often it requires you to play on-off with the gas to get it to shift.

I believe the culprit is the ALDA and vacuum power changeover valve (I'll refer to it as the VPCV). Remember that part where I mentioned the engine bay was a mess? Well I've attatched a lovely picture of both the ALDA and VPCV. As you can see, the rather nasty hose connecting the two is the only line still connected to the VPCV. I need help because I have no idea what lines are supposed to go there. I have found one line that seems to match to the VPCV that appears to come from the intake manifold. I also found a second line that I didn't check where it came from but it has a small filter on it and is not connected to anything.

Could anyone point me in the right direction of what I'm looking at to get this thing back on track? I'd love to get it running properly but have a long road of replacing hoses and cleaning out grime.