View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry12345 View Post
Practicality over originality has to enter the picture if you are using the car in cold temperatures as well. A set of conversion pencil plugs can be removed and the old system installed again at any time easily.

To much energy is dissipated on those external resistance linking wires. Also if you maintain the car the need for a booster pack should be almost never.

These diesels starters draw heavily because of the increased compression. So there will be issues with getting good current flow from the pack if the cars battery is really low. Usually the transfer connections tend to be current limiting.

For example a set of booster cables on mine may not transfer enough current to start the car. If the battery in place is too low. A gas engine seldom to never is an issue in comparison.
I once had a voltmeter placed at the starter motor while my wife tried to start the car. The voltage would drop from 12.5V to, if memory serves, about 11.5V with the glow plugs lit. So there, is, indeed, quite a draw. My estimate is about an initial 500 watts worth.

Anyway, I think that I have an answer to my original question.

I spoke with Micogravity about the XP10. According to their customer service (who asked their level 2 person), it will provide 50 amps of current @12V for about 1 minute before going flat.

A fresh rebuild with new glow plugs should result in much quicker start times than the worst case scenario I would see previously. One minute, then, should be plenty.

A nice bonus is that the Microgravity unit comes in at $30 less than the Noco booster I linked to above.