View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 01:35 AM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyfev1 View Post
In my 1986 300SDL there is a driver's side airbag. This device and all of the wiring and firing mechanism are now 30 years old.

What is the opinion here about continuing to have a small bomb ready to go off in your face with a 30 year-old triggering mechanism?

What are the alternatives for replacing the steering wheel? If I had to guess, I'm sure that it is against Federal law to remove the SRS mechanism (even on a 30 year-old car), but this has me a bit frightened. I've seen lots of odd electrically-controlled things happen on cars this old.

Feel free to discuss what you can/can't do in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, but that won't enter into my decision.
You make some good points. A device that's been in place for 30 years might be unreliable. This site says that going with the old 10 and 2 hand position on the wheel could be hazardous to your health in the event of an airbag deploy.

How holding the steering wheel at the old '10-and-2' spot could tear off your hands in a crash | Daily Mail Online

I must admit, never heard of or considered the possibility of a degloving injury from an airbag deploy. What a revolting development that would be.

1986 300SDL, 362K
1984 300D, 138K