View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 08:25 PM

Picked up the head today. Looks pretty awesome all clean and machined. When I dropped off the head I talked to my guy and he said that there wasn't enough material to do more than 3 angles. In the middle of the job he called and said that there was enough to do another angle so he did a 75 degree cut and opened up the seat into the port.

With the head on the bench I bolted the cam into the head with an original lifter and a later lightweight MB lifter and dropped a valve onto each. Dial indicator confirms the valves sit proud of the seats by .5mm - .6mm. Not as much as I may have wanted but its on the good side of not much. As the valves wear they should start to sink further into the lifters so it looks like this is a go.

With the head on the bench I did another measurement. I measured how far the intake valve can lift before it is flush with the head. I came up with 1.45mm, which is the max lift allowed at TDC not accounting for the valve reliefs.

The head is pretty significantly milled but the non digital dial caliper I had to check the head thickness with looks like it came in over min spec of 135.5mm. Eyeball says maybe 135.7mm. I'm going to measure chamber volume to see where the compression ratio comes in at. The math says a stock chamber is 34cc. (edit: Math was wrong! Positive piston protrusion of 0.9mm had to be entered into the calculator as -0.9mm to get the math right. Actual stock volume back figures to 53-54cc) Curious what I'll measure with the head milled near minimum.

I need the static compression ratio numbers before I can figure out my cam timing. Been reading a lot on the subject and the consensus is that the most important event is the closing of the intake valve. Closing later (more duration) costs compression so I want to counter that loss with the new higher compression. Ideally I will time the intake valve closing so that the new dynamic compression matches the old dynamic compression. Once I get that figured out I'll have to trial assemble the head on the block and check the valve clearance with the cams timed where I want. Only worried about the intake valve since the exhaust cam will be adjusted towards more clearance.

Going to be out of town for the weekend so nothing is going to happen until next week.
Attached Thumbnails
104.980 head work-img_0093.jpg  

90 300TE 4-M
Turbo 103, T3/T04E 50 trim
T04B cover .60 AR
Stage 3 turbine .63 AR
A2W I/C, 40 LB/HR
MS2E, 60-2 Direct Coil Control
3" Exh, AEM W/B O2
Underdrive Alt. and P/S Pulleys,
Vented Rear Discs, .034 Booster.
3.07 diffs 1st Gear Start

90 300CE
Milled & ported head, 10.3:1 compression
197° intake cam w/20° advancer
Tuned CIS ECU
4° ignition advance
PCS TCM2000, built 722.6
600W networked suction fan
Sportline sway bars
V8 rear subframe, Quaife ATB 3.06 diff

Last edited by duxthe1; 06-08-2017 at 12:32 AM.