View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987 View Post
I ended up ordering the suspension mount points from MB. The classic center had to add them into the system. Not a popular item I guess, haha. It was probably stupid to pay for new ones when I could have made them, but the price was decent enough that to me it was worth making it a bit easier. For the inner fender and other areas I can just cut out sheet metal, or cut from my parts car. I really am having a hard time convincing myself to cut up my parts car because it's such a nice-looking car and of course I want to save it too.

Luckily most of my welds will be hidden or hard to see, which helps me feel a little better. I will have a weld on the very visible part of the fender on both sides as well as one area farther back on one fender that I have to make a patch (dent that rusted a little ... POR15 really held that at bay for 10 years though, didn't advance at all). So those welds I'm a little more worried, even though they'll be ground. I did do the corner of a fender last year and it actually came out really nice despite the welds looking awful. I didn't quite get it even with my filler job, but can redo that before I go to paint the car.
How much were the mounts? Also, what kind of parts car is it? Another 87 300d? I wouldn't bother cutting out the sheet metal.. Start learning how to fabricate, it's much better than just cutting and welding from a parts car essentially.. Plus that that metal you know what it already looks like and doesn't have undercoating and paint to hide corrosion.
2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 220k