View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Pentoman raises a good point. How much IS too much? Well for what it's worth, here's my two cents. The overwhelming majority of electronic features on todays cars are enhancements of familiar, proven systems OR different applications of existing technology. What began as ABS evolved into ASR, which turned into ESP. There's not a whole lot of additional parts/software required, in fact anyone who's good at diagnosing ABS systems can (with a little training ) easily make the jump to ESP systems. As far as applications are concerned, we've all seen electronic components get smaller and still be able to do more! For the last few years the vacuum/pressure pump that operates the locks also serves as the Anti-Theft Alarm control unit as well as operating the rear de-frost. The recent ME-SFI control unit does the job of the old Diagnostic Module as well as controlling engine functions, and it's half the size and weight. Of course, none of this would be possible if the vehicle control units weren't linked together via various data-busses. I could go on forever on this subject. Suffice to say that things will continue to change as long as the demand is there. Seeya