View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasteller View Post
TJTS1,
How long have you had your '97? Any transmission problems? What has given you problems?

The one I'm looking at has just under 100,000 miles, is being sold through an M-B dealership, and is supposedly a local trade in that they have service records on (they're verifying). It seems it may be worth a retail price.

General question to all,
I know the '96 I looked at this week had the engine wiring harness replaced (owner showed me old one and the new one installed). Does the 97 have the same bio-degradable material that goes bad?
I've had my 97 for for 3.5 years. The transmission has been flawless. The only time it has acted up was when the alternator wasn't keeping up with the electrical demand of afterglow after a cold start. 96-97 are equipped with a 90a alternator but they really need a 115/120/150a alternator. Basically low charging voltage caused the transmission to shift hard and late. Haven't run into the problem since installing the 150a alternator.

Only other issue has been rust around the window frames (SoCal car all it's life!) hidden underneath the rubber door seals, rust around the battery, rust on the body near the front control arm mounts.

Check the plastic crankcase ventilation fittings going into each intake runner near the head. There are 12! They all crack and fail and allow dust into the intake. The whole crancase ventilation system is dumb and the intake loads up with egr soot and oil which kills power. Remove and clean out the intake to restore stock power.

I've only found biodegradable wiring inside the headlight housings causing intermittent bulb out warning.