View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Me too brother.

My 1998 F150 with a gasser V-8 runs okay with 210k miles on the odometer. I'll probably get 300k out of it.

I rather like the big Tundra model. When the Ford gets old I'll likely trade it for a used Tundra. However, I'll give any Ford truck a close look. This one has been exceptional. The weakest part is the interior, which appears to have advancing leprosy.

OTOH, a used MB truck with around 75k-120k on the clock would be okay, if in the price range and if the truck develops a good rep.
I get into a lot of wrecking yards. There always seems to be a lot of Fords and not so many GM's.

A mechanic told me this is because, for some reason, Ford owners don't seem to take as good of care of their trucks. But when they do 350,000 is not impossible.

He also said that the frame of a Dodge truck is the best unless it gets eaten by rust. He recommended replacing the engine of a Dodge at 250,000, a Ford at 300,000 and a GM at about 350,000.

And not because they have spun a bearing or cracked a block. It is because they lose power over the years.

As long as the body is sound it is always cheaper to keep repairing, and maintaining, what you have.