View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Ten13

A few updates on the car, as we get ready for the trip, which starts on / around Sept 23...

The flex discs appear to be quite new, so I'm going to leave them be for this trip. No visible cracking or fatigue, and the bolts & nuts don't have much in the way of corrosion or grime on them.

I did discover the differential mount is shot, so the replacement is going in today.
I'll also replace the differential fluid (with redline).

I need to drive it around for a few more days to drain most of the fuel out of the tank before replacing the tank strainer, filter and accumulator (the replacement of the cold start valve gasket did not cure the hot-start issues).

Next weekend: valve clearance check / adjustment & new gaskets, and spark plugs.

The transmission removal and replacement of pump seal, pan seal, filter, speedometer drive seal and shift selector input seal were successful, and we're now leak-free! Inspection revealed that the rear main seal was fully in-tact and leak free, thankfully. The oil leak appeared to be coming from the oil pan gasket, which has also been replaced.

Primary headlights have been upgraded to Hella H4's & the steering dampener is new - which brought a more dramatic improvement in steering feel than anticipated.

There is an annoying sound -- kind of a tick / tink -- that can only be heard while driving over small bumps and if there is vegetation or a fence along the side of the road, to reflect the sound back. It's definitely a rattle of some sort, but I can't source it. The heat shields seem to be tight, and it's only when going over tiny bumps / cracks in the pavement... Thoughts?

Otherwise, I think she's as ready as she can be!
'73 VW Thing, '09 BMW 328i Convertible, '07 Honda Ridgeline, '94 Chevy Step Van