View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
Fifty Six Thousand US dollars ( $ 56,000 ) for an uncommon but not "rare" car ( 75,000 were built over the years ) with a dented left rear door is well beyond the realm of " Oh, that is a little expensive " and more in the " Send me a $ 10,000 deposit so I can pay customs and port fees then we will work out final payment. " ( Nigerian internet scam. )

In the link below, others have commented that there may have been more than one company that did conversions and listed Portugal specifically. Even if this was a local low production conversion, it does not warrant high money as it isn't significantly different than the MB contracted Belgian IMA conversion.

From a recent web posting

Carshow Capsule: 1966 Mercedes-Benz 230 Universal – Is This The First Mercedes Estate?

The estate car, known as the Universal or Kombi, was converted by the Belgian company IMA (Société Anonyme pour l’Importation de Moteurs et d’Automobiles, the Company for Importing Engines and Automobiles), who were an established assembler of Mercedes saloons for the European market. As the European Common Market (now European Union) grew and tariffs came down, such assembly became an unnecessary complication for Daimler-Benz.

IMA built a significant number of cars for Mercedes-Benz, assembling over 75000 cars in the 1960s, including long wheelbase limousine, ambulance and hearse conversions.
Your knowledge about Universal is not far away from ZERO.

Mercedes Benz Fintal Universal was produced from 1965 to 1968 from I.M.A (Belgium) and from all this years, only 2754 ever made. From Portugal, only 5 of this where know. From 2754 ever made, only a few ever survived to this days.
Fintal Universal ORIGINAL, like my, only was converted to Kombi by IMA, and BINZ to funeral or ambulance. Numbers unknow.
What you call Portuguese convertions, was from w115, by Movauto. Not fintal models.

The Mercedes Universal Wagon and other Classic Mercedes Benz Station Wagons of the 1960s – Classic Mercedes Benz values, market trends, and sales info