View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 04:18 PM

Hello!

First post here and came across this thread while trying to research about M112 timing chain problems. My 2001 E320 Wagon has 242,000 miles and has had a rattling timing chain since around 210,000 miles.

The sound is EXACTLY the same as the video the OP posted and has the same rhythm at idle. All the timing chain components in the car are original and the car has been using Mobil 1 MB approved oil though I have recently switched to Liqui Moly 5w-40 with only a slight decrease in the volume of the rattle. As of now, the engine runs pretty close to perfect and gets 28 and above on the highway with a full trunk of heavy objects.

Right now I am contemplating whether this is something I can DIY or if I'll need to pay a couple grand to fix it. The tensioner replacement and the chain doesn't seem like an overwhelming procedure, given I can get it all done with just the removal of a valve cover. The guides on the other hand...

I've seen many threads that describe the problem that I've had, but towards the end, I find the resolution rarely gets reported which leaves me guessing as to what I should do.

Thanks,

Adam

My engine noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJN7MUrmbRo

This is without the serpentine belt attached.