View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 10:40 PM

Stock Muffler NLA - Dual Mufflers?

So the European M110 dual in, dual out, mufflers are NLA. Even tried Timevalve and never heard back in six months or more.

Right now the muffler is badly rotten and don't mind the sound level. Done hours upon hours of research and settled on a Magnaflow MF. Reason being the quietest non-chambered exhaust and doesn't drone.

Plan to use the stock catalytic converter and resonators for now, running 2" pipe from the 1 5/8" where the stock muffler attached since the pipes are new. If doesn't pass emissions, then the only option is a Magnaflow catalytic converter which is 2 inch, so forces running all new pipe. Just want to do minimum now and see where at, especially sound quality. Further, only have eight inches of width and about seven inches of height for the muffler.

Could simply go with a 5"x8" oval, however, doesn't come smaller than 2.5 inches, which have to be necked down both sides, as to me, look silly to have a dual 2.5 inch on a M110. The 2 inch mufflers have 2.5 inch internal pipes, so no difference really.

My question is regarding a crazy idea: what about two 4" rounds side by side?

First, know will be louder than an oval as less packing material.

Second, thought is that have to weld on the stock hangers so be a way to connect the two so as one unit. Then be less pipe, less joints, and less likely to leak.

Thank y'all in advance for any help.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.