View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 01:49 PM
Michanus

722.320 overhaul part 3

If you wanna do it right you have to replace the o-rings on the bottom of k1 and k2.The old drums are riveted so you have to drill out the bolts and tap a new hole. I used for the k1 m5x10 allen bolts and on the k2 m5x16 (The k2 has to be countersunk because you have no room between the piston and the bottom.Dont forget to add some blue loctite on the allen bolts on the k1 after installation and do a leak test.

This is how my o-ring looked so you can imagine that this will cause compression problems.

Everything is checked cleaned and the o-ring replaced

Dont forget to put new bushing on the selector and underneath your car when transmission is still removed.

2x spacers when everything is still removed.they cost 50 cent a piece and if they break you can remove the transmission again so replace them.

I have soaked the friction plates for about one night but 1 hour is enough and dont forget to soak the brake bands as well.Now 1 thing about the brake bands.Its normal that they show some cracks as long as they have enough friction material they are still good.

You have to put the k1 on the planetary gear and put them in together and check the teeth of the k1 are sitting all on the planetary gear.

When putting the friction plates on the k1 and k2 and the snap ring on the drum.You have to check with a feeler if you have 0.7 -1.3 mm clearance if not you can buy different size snap rings from 2.0mm 2.5mm and 3.0mm if you dont have the celarance after changing the snaprings you can change 1 or 2 5mm metal discs to 4.5mm

This is for the k1 and k2

Between the pump and the b3 you must have 1.5mm to 2.mm clearance

Dont forget to mesure the gasket (0.5mm)

My k1 and k2 after replacing the alto friction plates had bad clearance.

My k1 had 0.30mm and my k2 had 0.10mm

The snap rings on both the drums had 2.5mm

I changed the k1 snap ring from 2.5 to 2.0mm and i had 0.80 mm clearance so that was enough

I changed the snap ring from the k2 from 2.5 to 2.0mm and i had 0.60 clearance so i ordered a metal disc 4.5mm and changed one metal disc from 5.00mm to 4.5 and i had 1.10mm clearance

Now the b3 and pump clearance was still in spec 2.00mm

New b2 piston

After that i was ready