View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 09:29 PM
E300d 1995

95 e300d w124, questions about injection pump and delivery valves

Making my 1st attempt to change the copper washer and o-ring for the delivery valves.

Four of my delivery valves were fairly easy and seemed to be ok. The 1st two nearest the fuel filter seemed to act different from the other four. The stainless cylinder ( that the copper washer goes on top of ) seemed to want to wander like a hockey puck on ice.

Questions:

Is that easy free movement of that stainless cylinder normal?

Does changing just one delivery valve cause the injection pump to lose diesel back to the tank?

I changed just one to begin with and found that the engine made no attempt to fire until it had been cranked a seeming long, long, time. I must have tried to get it to fire for about 10 attempts before it started to fire. Acted like the injection pump had no diesel for any of the cylinders. Acted like the pump had lost it's volume of fuel for all the cylinders - not just the first one I changed.

Question on copper washer

The way the old copper washer looked, it seems they would do a better job of sealing than the new copper washer. Old one was polished smooth compared to the new one.

Is changing the copper washers really required? Or just changed because it's been opened up?

Question on o-ring for delivery valve

There seems to be enough room on the delivery valve top that unscrews to put two o-rings side by side. Has anyone tried two o-rings? Seems it would seal tighter and possibly last longer.

Torquing question

After the delivery valve top has been hand tightened, My torque wrench clicked at less than a 1/4 turn more. That way for all six. Is that about normal for others? Just checking to see if my torque wrench is still in spec.

Snap-on wants about $60 for a calibration check. But it takes three weeks turnaround.

Thanks to others that have entered posts on how to do this job. Made it much easier than expected.

- white lithium grease to help hold spring upright
- thoroughly clean top of pump 1st
- I used a plastic ramp below the front wheel to help make the pump sit more vertical ( supposedly helps keep spring from falling over ). Raised wheel about 7 inches.

I replaced all the old springs with new Mercedes ones from Pelican Parts. Measured length of old and new.

New ones were .995 - .998 inches long.

Old ones replaced measured close to .946

That's how my tool measured but that tool is fairly old now.

Used viton supposedly will last longer.