View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATMAN View Post
It was stripped to the core and put in a dump truck with an excavator.

Sure the mileage was very low and thats why I am happy to use the motor and let it live on. Most all of the parts will live on as well and help other cherished and treasured cars stay on the road for years to come.

The floor pan was about entirely rotted out, the front and rear bumper mounts were so rotted I was able to remove the bumpers by kicking them from the top, front fenders inner and outer had serious rot issues towards the front, and the body structure under the doors was rotted to the point I could stab through them with a screwdriver.

Michigan winters are very tough on vehicles. 20yrs of salt and snow really does a number on sheetmetal. If the body structure was in great shape I would have pulled the motor and sold off a complete vehicle. There is good value in something with a one owner title, but it was a rust bucket.

At the age most W123 cars are its probably wise to start with one thats lived in the southwest and turn that into a showroom classic.
Thank you Sir. I had envisioned a car in pristine condition as to structure like could easily be found in a barn in the South and you being a big Caterpillar guy didn't see any value in that car and decided to experiment on it. I'm relieved to have learned that it was a rust bucket and you handled the car in an appropriate and responsible manner. Thank you again,

BenzDiesel