View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 07:55 PM
There is Life After VW!

Today I got under the car and indexed the transmission flange 120 degrees as we've talked about. Took it for a drive and did not notice much of a difference between 60 and 70, but when I took it up to 80 it seemed to smooth out compared to before. I'm going to index it another 120 degrees again tomorrow and see what happens. If that doesn't get it I'll index the rear 120 and then go through all three positions up front again, and onward until I've fixed it or tried all 9 possible positions of the flanges in relation to the drive shaft.

Something else I did while under the car with the drive shaft disconnected from the flange was to take angle measurements from each of its three "ears", which ended up all being the same. Out of curiosity I compared the flange angle to the transmission pan angles. There's a section at the front of the pan that's at a different angle compared to the rest of it, and as it turns out this front section is exactly 90 degrees from the angle I got from the flange. I was using the rear section of the pan for my previous transmission angle measurements, and this accounts for the out of spec angle I was getting before. So now I measure -0.30 degrees between the trans and the front shaft section, well within spec, and set up to come back towards 0 as the mounts wear and the engine drops a little.