View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 AM

There was a local 115 diesel. The owner contacted me. Slow and top speed was about 50 mph he claimed. Found the previous owner or owners had installed an electric fuel pump for a gas carb engine. Was too low of a fuel pressure. A four to six pound pump. I suggested rebuilding his lift pump but he did not. Since the injection pump was rebuilt the lift pump is assumed good for now on yours. The lift pump must be functioning properly to calibrate the injection pump when rebuilt.

You may have rebuilt the linkages that being a good thing. The injection pump is rebuilt as well. Another good thing as the earlier injection pumps can have certain issues. It also is such a simple thing but from my experience far too many owners miss it.

Observe if the linkage is enabling the lever on the injection pump to reach all the way. Takes two people with one pressing the fuel pedal. At this point only spend money where there are solid indications. Pull the number two injector and have it tested. Tested not rebuilt if not needed. A bad injector can take out glow plugs. Also by this time I assume you know that for all practical purposes only one brand of glow plugs should be used. I doubt this is your problem as even the bad brands last longer and would not have failed more than once that quick in the number two location.

There is another simple test. To eliminate something like a bad tank fuel strainer. Your rebuilt injection pump should be creating a constant overflow out the relief valve. This valve also is an operational fuel pressure regulator. If no flow there is a possibility of a fuel starvation issue. It is very frustrating to have a problem like this. At the same time it does not really mean it is serious.

Also the smoke you see should be identified. If it stings the eyes the injectors are suspect. Where they ever tested? This based on the assumption the mechanic really knows the basic engine is sound. Plus he has the injection pump timed properly.

I am not familiar with the butterfly issue on these earlier engines. The poster that mentioned it probably is. Your mechanic has suggested a new pre chamber for the second cylinder. Is the ball dislogged? Or is it only speculation? Has the injector even been removed and the pre chamber inspected? There are quite a few things you can check out yourself on these engines.

Last edited by barry12345; 03-21-2018 at 12:01 PM.