View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 01:03 AM

Amen on the old Volvos. I have had good luck even well into the late 90s models. I have heard 2004 was the cutoff when Ford screwed things up. I had a 92 740 wagon, TWO 1998 V70s, and currently have a 94 960 wagon in addition to my 92 300TE. The Mercedes is a much better built car from the standpoint of ride quality, solid feel and quietness. The Volvos are more sporty handling, FAR more durable, faster, get better gas mileage and are LOTS easier to work on in all ways, as well as generally cheaper on parts. Also gobs of junkyard parts available, as compared to the Mercedes. Downsides are they are rattly, plastic interior bits fall apart (even worse than Mercedes), and they ride like a Honda Civic by comparison.

My decision to get a Mercedes was not that I didn't want another Volvo, I just couldn't find one with under 200,000miles. I bought my 740 with almost 300,000 miles on it and it just ran and ran, until a leaking temp sensor blew out and popped the head gasket at 400,000. It was running perfectly and I feel sure would have gone another 200,000 if I had put a head gasket on it. Both the V70s gave it up about 250,000. One hung up or burned a valve, 15psi on #2. Pulled the injector wire and gave it to a friend who needed a car. Still runs great almost two years later. Other one just developed electrical gremlins, so I sold it cheap to another friend that uses it as an in town car.

The 960 has only 160,000 on it, but the interior is rougher than I want, runs like a raped ape. Will blow the doors off the 300TE, no questions asked. Twin cam 4 valve straight 6 with that awesome Aisin 4spd overdrive lockup auto trans. Turns 2700rpm at 80 with a 6000rpm redline. The parts car in the junkyard for that one had 295,000 on the odometer and the car looked like it still ran. Very likely towed and never reclaimed, it was not wrecked.