View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280EZRider View Post
I agree that the paint is definitely single stage. Even the W123s with non-metallic paint have single stage. Wash and dry the car yourself (car washes are the kiss of death) and most of the time you donīt need any soap at all. That Dawn soap is OK for removing tree sap, but itīs best to avoid parking under trees and to use shades to protect the dash and rear carriage shelf.

For me, (best option) walking 3 blocks to a $100 per month garage is nothing but Iīm just a kid at 71, so what do I know? If you decide to use a car cover, make sure itīs breathable, especially in the humidity of Atlanta.
One thing I like about single stage was I think it would be easy for a shop to blend if there was any issue. I used to have a clear-coat car, it flaked something terrible!

I spent 3 hours detailing the car today. It looks terrific except I couldn't get off all those light colored drips. Maybe I'll try a clay bar at some point. I'll not use the automatic wash again. It's now safely under cover (breathable cover) and we plan to keep it this way at all times while not driving it.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I will have some questions about the rust removal from prior posts. Of note, I'm still wondering if POR-15 will hold to bare metal as a primer.