View Single Post
Old 04-13-2003, 04:07 PM

An anniversary surprise for my husband's 400E

Okay guys, I need your help. My husband has a '93 400E that currently has the 6.5x15 OEM 8 hole wheels with 195/65/15 tires. For sometime he has been mentioning changing to a 7x15 (alloy) 8 hole wheel and increasing the tire to a 215/60/15. I know that he wants exact 8 hole replicas. We have an anniversary (20 years) coming up and I would like to surprise him, but I want to do this right. I have read through many of the posts but have some specific questions still.

1. Will 7x15 wheels work on this car and do I have to worry about "offset" that is often mentioned in a lot of posts?

2. If I do have to worry about "offset" (could somebody explain exactly what it is?) what do I need to do to take care of it with that wheel?

3. Will a 215/60/15 tire work/look okay on that rim? One post mentioned about that size tire looking "pregnant" but I think that was on the 6.5x15 rim.

4. Is there a general opinion as to who makes the best 8 hole replica and who would it be? (Artec, AT Italia, etc.)

5. One post mentioned a MB 8 hole sportline wheel as being 7x15. Can someone verify this for me and would it be a good option?

It basically comes down to this...I know he wants the exact same look as he has now, but is very interested in the 7x15 wheel with 215/60/15. Oh! and it must be alloy! Can I accompilish this?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

MB FRAU
'93 300CE Cabriolet (43K miles)
-Midnight Blue/Parchment