View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 11:53 AM

Yep, that would make sense. My issue started after I started throwing parts at the front end. I took the knuckles to a shop and they used a generic c frame press and an air tool to put in the ball joints. It really sounds like a ridge worn on the balljoint that clunks in a certain vertical and rotational position during turning at low speeds. I don’t think I’ll be redoing that job anytime soon.

no Worries. Time to drive the car.

I had creaky sway bar isolators, clunky guide rods and loose tie rods. Funny, I went in and changed all kinds of stuff and the sounds changed but this last clunk didn’t go away. It reminds me of my worn joint in my 240d that would clunk as I pulled up into my driveway or went slowly over a speed bump. But this one on the SD clunks as I said when I turn sharply in a parking lot. I bet I could change things up by marking the joint relative the the knuckle, undoing it, then rotating it 180. degrees and retorquing.

That would put the theoretical burr in there at a different spot. Probably it would clunk when I did something else like turned the other way. Maybe when I’m really bored I’ll try this experiment. But as I said, I gave up worrying about it.
85 300D Turbodiesel 170k miles