View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 PM
Conservative

Nice.

When I got this one, the ball joints were shot. That was a 4 night project involving copious amounts of swearing and ended with a 6 pack to help out with the pain of one of the arms falling on my legs, because nobody warned me about keeping a nut on the top ball joint as you heat and beat it to death to get it to drop. That hurt like a son of a beach.

I do love this platform. While there's been bloodshed and swearing involved on working on it, it's relatively easy to repair and keep going. My brother asked me if I'd keep it if the engine ever went, to which I replied that the truck is the Lego of pickups...just get another engine, plug it on and keep going. Parts are plentiful and still cheap enough to afford...especially on an engine they used for so many years.

I'm hoping to get my hands on another upper intake plenum soon, so I can get it reconditioned and replace the current one. Mine is flaking it's paint and looks like crap. A new one is too much, but I know a company that owes me a favor, and can put a nice sanded polish look on it, then clear powder coat it. When I do that, I'll replace the slightly weepy valve cover gaskets. It's not a serious issue yet, but some oil aroma is occasionally in the air after a hard drive. Passenger side gets it the worst.

When I get this truck mostly done, I"ll have room in the garage to bring my R107 out of storage and get it back on the road. I'd love to get it fixed and sold next year. We'll see how it goes.

Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.