View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 11:57 AM

I would say the decision depends on the price to a great degree. If it is priced decently for what it is the car might be gone before you decide.

A check by a competent mechanic familiar with these cars is money well spent. He may or may not find enough things to negotiate the price lower. Or you know what you are getting into better.

Tragically I never believe the claimed overall millage on these cars with very few exceptions. The presence of the factory provided oil change book in the dash is always a good thing to indicate a general ideal. When it is missing raises a flag to a certain extent. Especially on the ones like this that claim low overall millage.

A lot of mechanics also jot down work they have done to the car in them as well and when is indicated. That to me is the number one reason owners keep them. If they have exceeded the millage in the book. Or to prove oil changes where preformed when they should have been up to the milage limits in the book. One hundred thousand miles or perhaps a little more is provided for in them. Although I cannot remember the exact amount of milage at the moment they provide for.

Things like screwing down the trim rather than repairing it properly show a lack of caring at least in my mind at some point. As mentioned these cars are scarce and I expect the values will rise with time if they are maintained properly.

As usual unfortunately I take the claimed milage with a grain of salt. Unless real substantial proof exists. Did you examine it for a repaint? All too much depends on the price you are looking at. These are just my opinions though.

On the other hand a lower millage coupe in pretty much pristine condition commands real money today. A person also has to keep in mind that many people have to pay to have repairs done.

This takes cars with some issues out of their interest. Todays costs are just too high for paid for work on older cars. Doing it yourself is the only practical approach usually.

I am no different than many. When we want to buy something and especially used cars. Many of us wear rose colored glasses. For me it took many years just to learn to throw them away. A coupe of this type is worth from 1k to perhaps even fifteen K in my mind. Depending on the condition of the car. Below a certain condition it will cost more to get them into good condition than a more expensive one will cost. Because many parts are both scarce and expensive they may need. Plus my time is worth something. When one is at the needs restoration in general you have to really think about it.

Also prices vary by region to a certain if not substantial degree. At least you have found no rust basically in it. If it is not a repaint that is also a good thing. I think the minor rusting in the fender lips was created by a set of those chrome fender flare screws. That have been removed .

Last edited by barry12345; 08-01-2018 at 12:25 PM.