View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 07:58 AM
E300d 1995

I now regret that I didn't reliably change the brake fluid every two years on my vehicles. That would have been the best way to be confident that there was minimal corrosion that could cause brake failure. But it seems that the fluid in the ABS might not have been completely changed even then.

How can the ABS reliably be tested? Did all wheels slip and get proper control timing and pressure when they slipped? It can't really be trusted, it's 23 years old and reliable sources say it can have hidden blockage and component failure. I'm mostly teasing, but it wouldn't surprise me if the government said ' all cars older than 20 years must be removed from service because they can't be trusted to be reliable and present a serious safety hazard'. As far as brakes go, I believe they would be spot on. Doubtful if most older cars have properly serviced brakes.

The only way most of us would know is when we needed the ABS most, hopefully we live through it. There is no way in the current maintenance procedures to have any confidence that the ABS is prepared to work properly. Very few of the Bosch test units were sold & those are rare to find. All I can think of, is to do what some of the BMW and Porsche racers have done. Take it apart and inspect it, clean it, and replace any parts that show corrosion or are not working, that's the only way I can think of having any confidence that the ABS is prepared to work when needed.

Since the ABS hydraulic portion can cause brake failure when making normal stops ( without the ABS activating ) is reason enough to check the innards of the ABS on older cars.

Not much time and really not that much money. Caliper kits, new master cylinder ( can't find a kit for my 95 ), brake fluid, a couple of salvage ABS units, should be able to be obtained for about $400. Doubtful if I would need to send the unit to be cleaned and repaired. But if I did have to send it in, I'd feel lucky that I found the unit was defective.

The most I would spend is probably less than a new set of Michelins cost and about two days of my time. And as an old joke goes " what's time to a hog? " I've spent far more than that on other problems that are not life threatening. Most of us probably know how important good tires are. Good reliable brakes are equally as important. I learned a safety lesson in the mid 60's when my new car blew the 3rd Firestone tire in less than 15,000 miles. Luckily Michelin radials were available and have continuously proven to be a trustworthy tire. In that car I also experienced my first brake failure from fluid vaporizing, I came within a fraction of a second and probably an inch of rear ending a Volkswagen that had stopped in the left hand lane of the I-5 freeway to make an illegal u-turn. Last I saw of that car was out my left window when I slipped sideways past it. I still cringe when I think about it.

I don't want my car to be a ' fair weather ' and ' low speed ' only car. I want to trust it at high speed and in bad weather conditions.

It is ' better ' as far as the quietness and comfort than my wife's new Prius. We recently had the heat reducing window film installed just for the long trips we plan to make. The film works really well, much more comfortable to both of us. Plus sunglasses are not required unless driving into the sun.