View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Control Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I don't know about that particular engine, but on the W210 gassers, the crank position sensor could act like that. If car would not start, leave it for 1/2 hr or so and then it would start. Replace CPS and problem goes away. On that diesel this might not apply, but may be worth looking at. A CPS is quite inexpensive
The diesel W210s are like that too, even though the IP is locked permanently in time with the engine through the timing chain, the system will still throw the red flag for loss of crank position and shut the engine down. I have first hand evidence of this per the thread I linked a few posts above.

If you have a diesel W210 I would proactively replace this sensor, it is almost $100 at the dealer (sorry tjts1 it is not $17). I highly recommend you get a genuine Mercedes from the dealer, read my saga in that thread with a Bosch sensor one digit off from the MB original that refused to work. The car will just die with no warning when it decides to fail on you.

On the OM642 it never died on us (this was when my wife was still driving it) but the performance started degrading and then we got a CE light. The code came back for cam position sensor and I was able to swap it out before it totally failed.

The difference between the OM606 and OM642 sensors is that the OM606 sensor is just a dumb inductive coil and it either works or it doesn’t. The OM642 sensor has internal intelligence and can report back that the performance is degrading.

Both of these though can suffer a failure that is a physical break in an internal connection that can be intermittent at first, is usually temperature related, and can heal back upon cooling. That is the failure mode I experienced on the OM606 sensor.

I am really surprised the OP is not getting any codes for this issue. These cars know if you farted in the seat if you hook them up to Xentry.
2013 E350 Bluetec (my DD)

both my kids cars went to junkyard in 2023
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son’s DD) fatal transmission failure, water soaked/fried rear SAM, numerous other issues, just too far gone to save (165k miles)
2008 E320 Bluetec (Younger son's DD) injector failed open and diluted oil with diesel, spun main bearings (240k miles)

1998 E300DT sold to TimFreeh
1987 300TD sold to vstech