View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 11:25 PM

The real point of this thread is at some point any older car will become too difficult to keep in daily driver service especially if it is a persons only car. There is nothing wrong with someone having a weekend project car that they don't have to rely on. I've been in the business for 4+ decades and I even drop cars out of daily or even backup service when they become too much of a battle. . . .And I really know how to get the most miles out of a car.

In 1986 I bought a 1980 Saab 900, great car. Over the years it went back and forth between myself and parents as the spare car. From 2001 to 2011 it was Dads primary car. As time went on it became too difficult to keep going because I'm 45 min away and fewer parts could be had from the local auto parts.

It was replaced with a S-10 Blazer that received an engine / trans / major system overhaul. Bought truck with a bad trans / overheating engine for $ 500 , put $ 3,500 in parts to get it up to my standards. So far it is nearing 100,000 additional miles and 225,000 total with only a fuel pressure regulator / radiator / water pump replacement. All of these parts were purchased at a local auto parts that stocked them. Try getting front calipers or rotors for the Saab off the shelf.

Last fall my winter only 1984 Bronco 2 got to the point of too much work due to under hood wiring corroding off connectors , mechanical fuel pump failing , general body rust. Replaced it with a Chrysler PT Cruiser that got an intensive freshening but not a power train rebuild. ( About $ 1,500 in parts ). I'll run this for now and eventually Mom and Dad will get this car when the Blazer rusts away.